This early morning at 0630hrs 24th August 2008, I went for my 3rd Sheares Bridge Run & Army Half Marathon. The running routes had changed over the past 3 years and this year’s run was more special, we were running across the Marina Barrage for the first time and I had a great view of the Marina Bay skyline. When the new financial buildings and the integrated resort are ready in the next 5 years, this sector would be a lot more special than what I am seeing it today.
Some insights from my 21.1km run
– There were many more people participating in the half-marathon.
– My training regime wasn’t enough, even though I managed to reach 16km the saturday before, I couldn’t do a better run today. It was good for the 11km, thereafter, my running fitness suffered and had to walk and run.
– The route from East Coast Park to the Marina Barrage was a trail through forest with a temporary tar road, making it a different challenge, and with the rain pouring down over Singapore in the past few days, it became a dirt trail.
– Not enough rest the night before.
– Not enough fluids, became dehydrated and affected my running.
– Another medal to add to my finishers medals collection !
– I had seldom see the Padang that muddy, until I decided not to stay inside there and walked off after collecting my finisher medal and drinks, giving the goodie bag a miss.
– A good preparation for my full marathon in December. I had to look into my fitness training and training runs and of course, more upcoming runs in the next few months !
– When the Marina Barrage, Integrated Resort, Marina South and Marina Bay Financial Centre are completed, there would be some awesome and scenic CBD and Marina Bay running routes.
Fitness and health are 2 of the greatest blessings that you can ever have. If you suffer from injuries, the body would never be the same again, nevertheless, you can still have fun, keep fit and healthy. Running is one healthy physical activity that can keep you fit, sharp, in shape and healthy. If you are more daring and adventurous, there are always high octane activities such as triathlon or physically and mentally enduring yet achievable full marathon running.
Have a healthy and fit week ahead folks !