On Monday 26th January 2009, all Chinese around the world would be ushering a New Year, the Year of the Ox. For us Chinese, this period is a very important to us, not just in terms of holidays, it’s about welcoming the New Year, the Spring, family reunions of different generations, celebrating kinship, relationships, bonding and ties.
There are a lot of traditions to be followed, some are similar across us Chinese, some are slightly different. Nevertheless, it might take a thick book to share with all readers here on Chinese cultures and traditions, however, do drop by Visit Singapore Chinese New Year page by Singapore Tourism Board for an insight and summary into Chinese Lunar New Year customs and traditions !
There is also my fellow big sister travel blogger from China, iWalk,U2?, whereby visiting her blog would give you a excellent and informative insight into the rich Chinese Culture and Traditions, as well as her extensive travel stories to many parts of the world.
Back to preparation for the upcoming Chinese Lunar New Year, I need to do the following tasks as soon as possible
(1) Spring cleaning – Home & my room , an absolute mess.
(2) Buying new year clothes to usher in the new year of the Ox (restricted spending though)
(3) Collecting my bak kwa (roasted sliced pork)
(4) Preparing camera equipment for my parents holiday trip to Helongjiang and Haerbin
(5) Planning my running schedule to prepare for weight reduction exercise and training program after Chinese New Year – I usually overeat !
How would you be welcoming the Year of the Ox and how would you be celebrating your Chinese Lunar New Year 2009 ?