With a 2 weeks time frame, the EPSON Stylus Photo TX720WD was loaned to me, kindly arranged by XPR and it was a chance to review the EPSON Stylus Photo TX720WD, the introduction and a short technical specifications write up was done here. The provision of EPSON quality premium glossy photo paper for the 4R and A4 sizes gave me a good chance to test out the capabilities, colours and output of my prints.
How was my experiences, thoughts and analysis on this printer ?
– Easy to use & connect with my MacBook via the USB cable to print directly
– The SD and CF card slots are very useful and gives it more options to print out directly
– Although I didn’t change any ink cartridges during these 2 weeks, looking at how they were designed, it doesn’t look too difficult to me if I have to change
– The LCD screen is very useful for me to look at the photographs that I wanted to print and choose it for printing
– Scanner is useful and the scan quality is pretty good
– Fast printing for 4R photo prints
– The Photo Enhance feature inside the printer is very useful for pushing up the colours and vibrancy of the photographs.
– When the photographs were printed on the premium glossy paper, the ink doesn’t smudge when it was “fresh” out from the printer with my hands rubbing on them
– I would prefer the LCD screen to be bigger in size than the current 2.5 inch
– If there were a lot of photographs inside your SD or CF card, it can be quite a challenge to find the photograph that you wanted to print (e.g. photo is number 400th out of 800 photos inside your card), the interface doesn’t allow the ease of search and selection of the particular photo as compared to searching and finding it on your laptop or desktop
– When I was printing from my MacBook directly to the printer, I wasn’t able to use the Photo Enhance feature on the LCD screen, which might be useful for us when printing from your laptop or desktop.
– While the LCD is useful and easy to use, I feel that improvements can be made on the user interface of the LCD screen, to make it easier for users to navigate and selection
Other Points to Note
– Some points to take note that my MacBook screen is not calibrated before, therefore some photographs came out looking very different from I have on my MacBook. If you would be doing home printing quite a lot, you may like to consider getting a device to calibrate your screen, that would help you with your post processing and printing and it helps too if you are sending it out for photobook printing or printing shops.
– I also took the opportunity to show my photography prints to fellow photographers and asked them for their views of my photography prints (since they know my workflow and style of photography), they were able to help me differentiate the laptop screen versus the final output. One of my photographer friends commented that the prints from this EPSON Stylus TX72oWD are warmer and I quite like it this way.
Overall, the EPSON Stylus Photo TX720WD is a good printer, suitable for home printing and my short stint using it along with my prints, I am happy with my photography print outs and I was happy to share my photography works with my friends, vendors, business/social media partners and supporters, spreading the joy of my photographs brightening their day!